Coronavirus (COVID-19) Campus Response


Learn about Georgia Tech’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Campus Response.

Faculty Relocation

For tax years Jan. 1, 2018 through Dec. 31, 2025, all payments for moving/relocation will be included as taxable income to the employee.

Beginning July 1, 2018, any offer of relocation assistance for new employees will be processed via lump-sum payment, in accordance with the Policy on Relocation Assistance and the Guidelines for Faculty Relocation. Employees will be required to sign a Relocation Repayment Agreement form. These forms should be submitted to Faculty Affairs through GT-TRACS no later than 10 days prior to payroll running for the month. All lump-sum payments will be paid through a departmental account. For tenured, tenure-track, and research faculty, a commitment to 616 for the lump-sum amount will need to be processed via GT-TRACS.

Refer to the Faculty Relocation Payment Process Flowchart for additional details.

Process for Pending Relocations Offered Prior to July 1, 2018

Any new tenured or tenure-track faculty members starting on or after July 1, 2018 who have already received an offer letter referencing the previous relocation policies may continue to have the move coordinated under the policy as stated in the offer letter or elect to change to the new lump-sum payment policy. If the employee chooses to move under the new policy, he/she will be reimbursed at the new rates outlined in the Guidelines for Faculty Relocation. To request approval for the new lump-sum payment, the unit will first need to submit a GT-TRACS "other" package with the commitment assitned to org 616. 

If the employee chooses to move under the former policy, which can be found in the Relocation Policy and Moving Expense Payment for New Academic Faculty, the process below should be used:

Once a faculty member is ready to initiate the relocation process, a departmental administrator should submit a Relocation Initiation Form, attaching a signed Relocation Repayment Agreement. Faculty Affairs will then authorize the move with the relocation company, and a customer service representative will contact the faculty member to make arrangements.

After the move, the faculty member should submit receipts to the departmental administrator, who will complete the Relocation Reimbursement Expense Request and the request to Faculty Affairs. Requests should arrive in Faculty Affairs no later than 50 days after the move.


Some content on this page is saved in an alternative format. To view these files, download the following free software.